Art Deco Ceramics
This very large 16” tall pair of American Art Deco Galvano Electroformed Copper HEROIC HARVESTERS bookends was made in the 1920’s. The very Heroic Harvesters are extremely well formed in plaster then submitted to a process of electroplating which was done by several companies including Armor Bronze, Pompeian Bronze, Marion Bronze, Kathodian Bronze Works and LaFrance Bronze Arts. These appear to be quite rare. They are not signed or marked in any way but each one has two indentations on the underside of the base showing where the hanging wire was cut. I’m totally crazy about this pair!!!!
Royal Dux of Czechoslovakia Art Deco porcelain. The elegant female figure on oval base, decorated with enamel and gilt. Marked underneath the base with pink triangle seal and impressed numbers “3753” and “5” and printed number “33”. In excellent condition. 10” high.
This French Art Deco elephant was designed by Jean de la Fontinelle (1900 – 1974) in the 1930’s. It was made at the Fainecerie Auguste Mouzin et Cie. (AMC) and is signed “L. Fontinelle” on the base. Under the base it is marked “Made in France” and “ – 29”. The elephant is 7” high and stands on a 4 ½” x 2 ¾” base. It is in excellenct condition with no chips, breaks or repairs.
A collection of 35 pieces of chinaware by Johnson Brothers in the “Les Fontaines” pattern made for the 1925 Paris Exposition. They are painted and enameled with a central motif of a stylized fountain in green, brown and black with similar designs to the edges. The collection consists of: 12 each 10” dinner plates 9 each 6 ½” butter dishes 6 each 7 ½” soup bowls 3 each 8” salad plates 2 each 5” fruit/desert bowls 1 each 11 1/8” platter 1 each 16” platter 1 each 9” gravy dish with liner – has a small crack All in excellent condition except the gravy dish and some normal wear and crazing on the smaller pieces.
This impressive and decorated stoneware vase is tall and shows the hand of a master decoator. The vase has a beige ground with very deco stylized floral and foliate designs in brown. At 17" tall, it will make a statement in any setting. $ 950.00
This striking Belgian Art Deco vase is one of a series of shapes and forms on the theme "Biches Bleues" that Charles Catteau (1880 -1969) created in 1925 for Boch Freres in La Louviere, Belgium. The line was first exhibited at the 1925 Exposition Internationel Arts Decoratifs et Industriels Modernes in Paris. Enameled in shades of dark and light blue with green on a craqueleured white ground, the vase portrays deer in various positions. Arguably Catteau's most famous design, the deer became an icon of the Art Deco Era, known in the company literature as Design # 943, the design was used from 1925 into the 1940's. Biches Bleues is pictured in the book "Catteau" on pages 25, 38, 55 and 234; on page 62 of the book "L'Homme de Keramis, Charles Catteau; on pages 18, 33, and 48 of the book "Ch Catteau, La Louviere Formes & Techniques". In the book "Art Deco Ceramics Made in Belgium Charles Catteau", Biches Bleues apperas on pages 114 and 274. The vase is 9 1/2" high and is impressed on the base "1264". It is also marked "29X" and is in excellent condition.
This rare and striking vase was designed by Charles Catteau (1880 – 1966) in 1933 for his Atelier de Fantaisie at Boch Freres Keramis in La Louviere, Belgium. The 12” high stoneware vase is decorated in thick enamels in pumpkin orange, cream, and dark brown. The geometric decoration includes stylized floral heads and leaves in a central border with a series of five brown lines on cream with an orange ground. It is marked on the bottom with the design number “D 1710” in cream slip and impressed with the form number “975”. Marc Pairon, in his monumental book Art Deco Ceramics Made in Belgium lists the design by Charles Catteau and notes it as “rare”.
This French art deco fourteen piece porcelain coffee service for six was designed by modernist Jean Luce (1895-1965). The ring handles and finial of the sugar and creamer are repeated on the cups. Each piece is marked with Luce’s cipher. There are no chips or cracks; the cups have crazing on the interior as is usual.
This French art deco porcelain eagle pitcher was designed by Edouard Marcel Sandoz (1881-1971) for the Haviland Limojes Company in 1916. The pitcher is known as “pichet-aigle” and is number 2 in the company catalog. The pitcher is pictured in “Les creations porcelaine d’ Edouard Marcel Sandoz” by Jean Claude Segonds on page 130. It is 9 ½” high.
Theodore Haviland of Limojes, France originally edited this candy box of a toucan after a model by Edouard Marcel Sandoz in 1922. Fifty years later, Haviland released a second edition limited to 1000 examples. This is number 36 of that sold out edition. The toucan is 7” long and 5 ½” high.
Jean Luce (1895-1964) designed this cup and saucer for the CGT (Compagnie Generale Transatlantic) ca. 1930 for use on their luxury ocean liners. It was used on both the SS Normandie and the SS France. It is marked on the bottom of both the cup and saucer “GDA” (Gerard, Deffraisseux and Abbot); and “Limoges France” in black inside a green wreath. The cup and saucer are in excellent condition with no chips or cracks. The saucer is 6 1/2“ in diameter and the cup is 2 5/8” high.
This large French art deco porcelain duck candy box was designed by Edouard Marcel Sandoz (1881 - 1971) for the Haviland Limoges Company in 1916. The box is known as "Bonbonniere – canard mandarin" and is number 11 in the catalogue Raisone. The box is pictured in "Les creations in Porcelaine d’ Edoard Marcel Sandoz " by Jean Calude Segonds on page 130. It is 5" high and 9 ½" long
This French art deco porcelain double salt cellar was designed in 1917 by Edouard-Marcel Sandoz (1881 - 1971) for the Haviland Limoges Company. The “Flying Fish” with blue body and yellow eyes and fins stands guard over your salt. Known as “Saliere Poisson”, it is number 28 in the company literature. It is pictured on pages 80 and 132 in “Les Creations en Porcelaine D’ Edouard-Marcel Sandoz” by Jean Segonds. The cellar is 3” high and 3 ½” wide and is in excellent condition.
This pair of monumental American art deco cobalt blue California Pottery urns came from a Miami Beach home built in 1934. The urns are in great condition and are 44” tall and 32” in diameter at their widest point. They each weigh 500 lbs.
This Austrian art deco wall mask was designed by Rudof Knorlein (1902 - 1988) for the Goldscheider firm in Vienna ca 1935. The lady, with curly orange hair and lips, wears a green blouse and has green eye shadow. In her right hand she admires her black pearl necklace. The mask is 13" high and is marked on the back "Goldscheider, "Wien" and "Made in Austria".
This set of nine whimsical French art deco “Kissing Fish” knife rests was designed in 1916 by Edouard Marcel Sandoz (1881 – 1971) for the Haviland Limoges Porcelain Company. The set consists of four blue rests, three yellow rests and two green rests. Known as “Les Porte-Couteau Poisson” they are number 30 in the company literature and pictured on pages 137 and 62-63 in Les Creations en Porcelaine d’Edouard Marcel Sandoz” by Jean Segonds. Each knife rest is 4” long and is in excellent condition.
This French art deco ceramic footed bowl was made in the period beteween 1925 – 1930 by Emaux de Longwy in Longwy, France. The foot of the bowl is in a cobalt blue enamel, while the outer body and interior sides are in a yellow craqueleure. The center rondel shows a flower and foliate design in six colors of fired enamel. The bottom has the Longwy seal and various numbers. The bowl is 3” high and 10 3/8” in diameter and is in excellent condition.
These three smiling and wide eyed German art deco ceramic decanters are from the 1930’s . If Dr. Seuss had designed monkey decanters (he didn’t) they would look like this trio. In pink, blue, and green glaze with airbrush highlights, the fantastic creatures have one purpose, to make you smile. There is no indication they ever held any liquid. Each decanter is 10” tall and without any chips or breaks. Price is for all 3 monkeys!
Stephen Dakon (1904 - 1992) Created this beautiful Austrian art deco porcelain figurine ca. 1932 for the Vienna firm Friederich Goldscheider. The figure of a lovely woman holding the hem of her dress aloft is titled "Blonder Traum" (Dreamy Blond) and is modeled after the actress Lillian Harvey. The 13" high sculpture is number 6606 in the company records
This American art deco white ceramic bowl is by Maurice of California. The scalloped top covers the lobed sides above the round base. The bowl is impressed on the base “USA” and is 3 ¼” high and 7” in diameter.
This American art deco white ceramic planter was made by the Robinson Ransbottom Pottery Company at Roseville, Ohio in the 1930’s. The planter has very geometric floral and foliate décor and is impressed on the bottom “RRPCo., USA”. It is in excellent condition and is 9” high and 10” in diameter.
This rare and probably unique American art deco cast plaster plaque representing the cattle industry was designed and executed by Charles Dodson (1908-1993) for the lobby of the Miami DuPont Plaza Hotel which was demolished in 2005. Dodson was also responsible for the murals at the now demolished orange bowl stadium and several Miami beach hotels. The plaque is 18 ½” in diameter.
This rare and probably unique American art deco cast plaster plaque representing the banking industry was designed and executed by Charles Dodson (1908-1993) for the lobby of the Miami DuPont Plaza Hotel which was demolished in 2005. Dodson was also responsible for the murals at the now demolished orange bowl stadium and several Miami beach hotels. The plaque is 18 ½” in diameter.
This Belgian art deco white geometric vase was designed in 1927 in Charles Catteau’s Atelier de Fantasie for Boch Freres in La Louiviere. The six sided vase has three vertical speed lines on each corner and three ledges diminishing in size on alternate panels. Sitting on a round foot, the vase rises to a stepped up round top. It measures 12” high and 8” in diameter and has the form number “1038” incised on the base and the Boch seal printed in black.
This Belgian art deco white geometric vase was designed in 1927 in Charles Catteau’s “Atelier de Fantasie” for Boch Freres in La Louviere. The 6 ½” high, 9” in diameter vase has eight sides stepped up to a circular center opening and a tapering base. The base has “1027” impressed and the Boch seal in black. The vase is pictured on page 293 of the book Art Deco Ceramics Made in Belgium, Charles Catteau.
This striking Belgian art deco vase is one of a series of shapes and forms on the theme “Biches Bleues” Charles Catteau (1880 – 1969) created in 1925. the line was exhibited at the 1925 Exposition Internationale Arts Decoratifs et Industriels Modernes in Paris. Produced by Boch Freres in La Louviere, Belgium, “Biches Bleues” is pictured in the book Catteau on pages 234, 25, 38 and 55 and on page 62 of the book L’Homme de Keramis, Charles Catteau. Measuring 9 ½” high, the vase is printed on the bottom “D943”, “16” and has the Boch Freres Seal. It is impressed “1270”.
This humorous French art deco porcelain vase was designed by Edouard Marcel Sandoz (1881 – 1971) for the Haviland Limoges Company in 1916. The yellow frog on his green lily pad seems to be belting out an aria with his hand on his chest. The vase, known as “Porte – Bouquet - Grenouille” is number 36 in the Catalogue Raisone. It is pictured on page 134 in “Les Creations en Porcelaine d’ Edouard Marcel Sandoz” by Jean Segonds. The vase is 6” high.
This striking vase was designed by the famous sculptor Edouard Marcel Sandoz (1881 – 1971) for the Haviland Limoges Company. Edited in 1917 as “Le Vase – Poissone de Chine”, it is one of the first examples of Sandoz’ work for Haviland. He received the contract to produce porcelain animal figures for Haviland when the directors enthused over his drawing for this vase. The vase is reproduced (in an all white glaze) in “Les Creations en Porcelaine d’Edouard Marcel Sandoz by Jean Claude Segonds on page 58 and is number 8 in the Catalogue Raisone. The vase is 9 ½” high.
This American art deco white ceramic gladiola vase was made by Hagar Pottery ca. 1940. It has a sweeping fan form on an oval base. There are two straps across the top opening to keep the flowers from bunching. The vase is marked "Hager USA" with a blue stamp on the bottom. It is 12 ½" high and is 14 ½" wide.
This American art deco white ceramic gladiola vase was made by McCoy Pottery ca 1940. It has a geometric leaf décor and is marked in raised letters on the bottom “McCoy”. The vase is 14 7/8” high and 13 ½” in width.
The “Bat-Eared” fox was arguably the signature piece of Edouard Marcel Sandoz’s (1881 – 1971) sculpture. He returned to the animal again in various poses; sitting, standing and curled up looking wistfully at the viewer. He drew the fox, painted the fox, cast it in bronze (Up to seven individuals in one piece) and for the Haviland Limoges Company designed it for three boxes of various sizes in 1921. Known as the “Bonbonniere-Fenek” it is pictured on page 135 in Les Creations en Porcelaine d’Edourard Marcel Sandoz by Jean Segonds. The boxes are 4 ½”, 5” and 6 ½” in diameter and are in excellent condition.
This American art deco white ceramic vase was made by Maurice of California in 1931. The low base has four lobed side openings and is impressed on bottom “© Maurice of Calif. USA 1931”. (Maurice Pechman was the founder and owner). It is 4 ½” high and 9” in diameter and is in excellent condition.
Rising as a Jade green and black volcano, this French art deco ceramic vase was designed by Paul Milet (1870 - 1950) for La Manufacture De Sevres in the 1930’s. The vase is signed on the base in a circle “PM Sevres”. It measures 8” diameter and is 6 ¼” high. The opening at the top is 1 ¼” in diameter.
This French art deco vase was made by Longwy for Atelier Primavera, the design studio of the Paris department store “Les Grands Magasins du Printemps”. The vase, in Egyptian faience blue craqueleure is decorated with raised designs IN fired on black enamel. The 13” high vase is marked on the base “Primavera”, “Longwy” and “France”.
This pair of French ceramic art deco bookends dates from the 1920’s. Glazed in white craqueleure the bookends each depict a nude young woman with bobbed hair sitting on a two step base. They are both marked “Dimanche”. Each measures 5 ½” x 3 5/8” and are 5 ½” high.
This large Austrian art deco ceramic vase is decorated in tones of brown, tan, black, mauve and pale purple with swirling geometric forms. Made by Keramos (Wiener Kunst-Keramic un Porzellan Manufaktur) in Austria in the 1930’s, the vase is signed “Keramos, Austria”. The word "Keramos" comes from the Greek word "Kerameus and literally means making pots with clay. Measures 11 ½” high x 10” in diameter.
This striking geometrically inspired French art deco glazed stoneware vase was designed ca. 1927 by Marcel Guillard (1896 - 1932), executed by Willy Willeumier and edited by Editions Etling in Paris. The vase measures 9" high and the stepped geometric top is in a pale peach craqueleure glaze while the spherical body is a washed grey with touches of peach. The vase is marked "Marcel Guillard", "Editions Etling Paris", "Willeumier" and "France. The vase is pictured in the May 1927 issue of "Les Echos des Industries D'Art".
A stunning art deco ceramic vase designed by Paul Milet (1870- 1950) for La Manufacture De Sevres in the 1930's. The high glaze black body and upper rim are offset by three rings of jade green glaze. Signed on the bottom in a circle "PM Sevres". The vase measures 8 1/2" high and 9 1/2" in diameter.
A Rosenthal porcelain of a boy riding a dragonfly by Albert Caasmann (1886-1968) ca. 1920. This is model “K 354” which is impressed on the bottom. It is also marked in green underglaze “Rosenthal Selb-Bavaria”. The figure is 4” high and is in mint condition.
A rare Rosenthal porcelain of a seated faun holding a bunch of grapes by Ferdinand Liebermann (1883-1941) ca. 1920. It is number K 298 and is marked in green underglaze on the bottom “Rosenthal, Kunst-Ableilung, Selb-Bavaria”. The figure is 3 ½” tall and is in mint condition.
A Rosenthal porcelain of a girl riding on the back of a faun by Albert Caasmann (1886-1968) ca. 1920. It is signed on the base “A Caasmann”. A partial paper label on the base identifies the piece as “Flucht” (flight) and gives a number “1495”. It is marked in green underglaze “Rosenthal Selb-bavaria” The figure is 5 ¼” tall and is in mint condition.
A Rosenthal porcelain of a boy riding a snail by Albert Caasmann (1886-1968) ca. 1920. This is Rosenthal model “K 602” which is impressed in the bottom. It is also marked in green underglaze “rosenthal Selb-Bavaria”. The figure is 5” high and is in mint condition.
Rosenthal porcelain of boy riding a grasshopper by Albert Caasmann (1886-1968) ca. 1920. The figure is called “sommerritt” in German, summer ride in tagloit. The 3 ½” high, 4” long figure is marked on the bottom “ Rosenthal Selb-Bavaria” in green underglaze. The figure is in mint condition.
A rare and impressive Rosenthal porcelain figural group of two sleeping fauns ca. 1918 by Albert Caasmann (1886-1968). Signed on the right hand side of the base in orange “A. Caasmann” and with the green underglaze mark “Rosenthal Selb-Bavaria”/ In the base. The model number “K 179” is impressed on the base. The group is 10” high and is in mint condition.
This spectacular large German art deco porcelain table fountain was designed in 1928 by Gustav Oppel (1891-1971) for Porzellanfabrik Rosenthal, Selb, Bavaria. The fountain, Model 1014 “Tischbrunnen” (table fountain) has a nude maiden holding a series of three reticulated bowls which spill water down to the catch basin, from which the water is pumped to the top again. The fountain is 19 3/4” in diameter and 24” high and is in perfect condition. It is pictured in Niecol/Rosenthal Kunst – und Zierporzellan 1897 – 1945 Band II and Antiquitatenzeitung 1997 No. 20.
Claude Levy (1896 - ) designed this elephant ascending a geometric landscape. It was manufactured ca. 1925 by The Faiencerie Saint-Radegonde-les Tours" in a white craqueleure enamel glaze. Levy only worked with the Saint-Radegonde Factory in the mid 1920’s, but they produced the craqueleure animals he exhibited at the 1925 Paris Exposition. It is marked with the factory’s "jTr" logo with a crown. The elephant is 6 3/8" high x 5 7/8" long and 3" deep.
This American art deco satirical anti-New Deal ceramic bust is from ca. 1936. The cream colored ceramic bust of an unhappy and perplexed man with his hand to his head speaks of a time when Roosevelt’s "New Deal" legislation to pull the country out of the depression caused a storm of opposition from those who did not agree with the policies of the New Deal. The bust has the caption in raised letters on the base "SURE!! I AM FOR THE NEW DEAL". The bust is 8" tall, 6" deep and 3 ½" deep.
Jean Luce (1895 - 1964) designed this French art deco porcelain demitasse cup and saucer for the 1932 launch of the French line's (Compaigne Generale Transatlantique) luxury liner the “Normandie”. The set was produced by the Havilland Company in Limoges, France and has the gold overglaze decoration “CGT”. The cup is marked “Haviland, Limoges France” on the bottom and is 2 1/2" high.
This American art deco white ceramic umbrella stand was made by the Robinson Ransbottom Pottery Company at Roseville, Ohio in the 1930’s. The umbrella stand is decorated with vertical lines and a geometric leaf pattern and four handles. It is in excellent condition and is 18 ¼” high and 10” in diameter.
This French art deco very geometric tea set dates from the 1930’s and is marked “Limoges”. Decorated in a magenta and violet stylized Morning Glory design, the set consists of a large tea pot, sugar bowl, cream pitcher, eight cups, eight saucers and eight cake plates. The handles, spouts and knobs are gilded. The tea pot measures 10” high.
This rare and probably unique American art deco cast plaster wall sculpture, representing the Construction Industry and very reminiscent of the WPA artists’ work, is from the lobby of the Miami Dupont Plaza Hotel which was demolished in 2004. Charles Dotson was commissioned to design and cast nine placques for the hotel lobby representing Florida industries. We have this placque as well as ones representing “Grazing”, “Fishing” and “Commerce”. The placque is 18 ½” in diameter.
Guido Gambone (1909 – 1969), Italian master ceramicist created this special bottle vase in the late 1940’s. The hand thrown, hand painted and glazed earthenware vase is gourd shaped and depicts a woman holding a crescent moon. The vase is 10 ¼” high and 6” in diameter at its fullest. It is signed on the bottom “Gambone”, “Italy”, has his donkey mark and is in mint condition.
This rare and probably unique American art deco cast plaster plaque representing the cattle industry was designed and executed by Charles Dodson (1908-1993) for the lobby of the Miami DuPont Plaza Hotel which was demolished in 2004. Dodson was also responsible for the murals at the now demolished orange bowl stadium and several Miami beach hotels. The plaque is 18 ½” in diameter.
Géorges Conde (1891 – 1980) designed this sleek French art deco white craquelé ceramic panther in 1931. The panther was manufactured by Saint-Clement and retailed at “La Galerie d’Art Moderne Pomone” in Bon Marché, Paris. The panther is singed “Geo Conde” a name he adopted to avoid confusion with another artist of the same name. Standing 10 ½” high and 19” long, the panther is in excellent condition.
This white Faience Belgian art deco geometric vase is a design of the Charles Catteau workshop (Atelier de Fantasie) at Boch Freres. The form design dates from 1928 and is known as # 1043. The unusual stepped vase has four openings for flowers or greens and measures 9 ½” high, 15” wide and is 5” deep. It is marked on the bottom with the Boch seal and it is pictured on page 292 of Art Deco Ceramics Made in Belgium – Charles Catteau.
This pretty art deco lady was created in porcelain in the 1930’s by the English artist Stefan Dakon (1904 – 1992) for Goldscheider, Austria. Painted under glaze, the young lady holds her gray flowered dress over a vase of flowers at her feet. The figure is marked “Goldscheider, Wein”, “Made in Austria” and “6211”. She stands 16” high, 9” wide and 4” deep.
This unusually large and beautiful Belgian art deco bowl was designed in 1928 by Georges Tecqmenne (1908 – 1997) for art director Charles Catteau (1860 – 1966) in his “Atelier de Fantasie” for the Belgian firm, Boch Freres. The bowl is decorated with geometric flowers in blue, turquoise and black on a white craqueleure ground. Measuring 13” in diameter and standing 9 ½ “ high, it is marked “Keramis, Made in Belgium”, “D1337” and incised “860” and “3K”.
This lovely French art deco charger is in a technique called “Ceramic Cloisonne” by Emaux de Longwy and dates from the period 1925 – 1930. Raymond Henri Chevallier (1900 – 1959) became artistic director of Longwy in 1925 and developed lines in the deco style for two of the design ateliers of the great Paris department stores: Primavera for Printemps and Pomone for Bon Marche. This charger was designed by Chevalier’s older brother Maurice Paul Chevalier (1898 – 1984) for Pomone at Bon Marche. The charger measures 16 ¾” in diameter and is 3” high. It is marked on the back “Pomone Bon Marche”.
This Belgian art deco stoneware vase was designed by Charles Catteau (1880 – 1966) for Boch Freres in 1922. The stylized flowers in ochre and white are worked with a slight relief and the vase is marked on the bottom “Gres Keramis” and “D 773”. It is signed “Ch.Catteau” and incised “914”. The vase is 12” high and 7” in diameter.
Designed in 1927 by Charles Catteau (1880 – 1966) this striking Belgian art deco vase was made by the firm Boch Freres in La Louviere. The décor of geometric flowers in cobalt blue and white stands out on a rarely seen lime green craqueleure ground. The vase has the Boch seal on the bottom and is marked “D1121” and has an unknown cipher. It measures 12” high.
This elegant female African Warrior figure is a 1930’s creation of Gmunder Keramik of Austria. The terracotta lady is in a black matte glaze unrelieved but for the red lips and a white undulating design on her shield. The remains of a Gmunder Keramik paper label is under her right foot and “52311” is incised under her left foot. The kneeling figure is 12 ½” high, 19” high to the tip of the metal spear.
This monumental Austrian art deco vase was created in 1935 in celebration of Goldscheider’s 50th Anniversary. The handsome vase is of terracotta with a metallic black glaze. The ribbed vase with bulbous middle, narrow neck and flaring top measures 19” high and is 8 ½” wide at the middle. On the top lip is a silver tag reading “Goldscheider, Vienne, 1885 – 1935”. The base is marked “Goldscheider, Wien” with their cipher and “Made in Austria”. The base is incised “1187” and “MK”. There is also an underglaze mark “A”.
Charles Catteau (1880-1966), created this bulbous ceramic vase “Biches Bleues” for Boch Freres, La Louviere, Belgium in 1925. It is pictured in the book, Catteau on page 55. Enameled in shades of blue with green on a craqueleured white ground, the vase portrays four deer in various positions. The vase is signed on the bottom in black “Ch. Catteau”, “D 943” and impressed “891”. It is also marked with the Boch seal. The vase measures 9 ½” high and 9” diameter.
This French art deco seven piece earthenware chocolate set was made for the Pairs firm Robj in the 1930’s. An example of this service is illustrated in Robj Le Ceramiche 1921 – 1931” by Vanna Berga, published by Leonard Periodici, Italy 1995. The set consists of a 4 ½” jug, sugar, milk jug, two cups and two saucers. All pieces are “Robj, Paris” and “Importe du Luxenbourg”.
A French art deco Limoges porcelain tea set; tea pot, sugar and creamer in the “1925” style. Blue love birds perch among fantastic foliage on a bright white ground with gold trim accents. The teapot measures 9” high.
A spectacular pair of monumental Italian art deco porcelain urns. The urns are faux glazed to resemble inlaid stone, including lapis lazuci, in a geometric display of the ceramicist’s skill. The urns, which measure 25” high and 15” in diameter, are marked “Italy” and signed with an artist’s signature.
This striking French art deco ceramic bowl was produced for the French firm Robj. The bowl is glazed in sevres royal blue with fine graduated gold balls on each side. The bowl dates from the 1930s and measures 8” in diameter. (10” from ball to ball) and is 3-3/4” high. It is signed on the base “Robj”.
Claude Levy (1896 - ) designed this pair of bookends depicting elephants ascending a geometric landscape. They were manufactured ca. 1925 by The Faiencerie Saint-Radegonde-les Tours” in a white craqueleure enamel glaze. Levy only worked with the Saint-Radegonde Factory in the mid 1920’s, but they produced the craqueleure animals he exhibited at the 1925 Paris Exposition. They are marked with the factory’s “jTr” logo with a crown. The elephants are each 6 3/8” high x 5 7/8” long and 3” deep.
This American art deco white ceramic vase was made by Weller Pottery, Zanesville, Ohio. The ovoid vase has two handles shaped as geese and geometric leaf décor. It is from Weller’s 1930 Patricia Line and is 8 ¾” high. It is hand impressed on the base “Weller”. It is in excellent condition.
This Japanese art deco tea set is from the 1930’s and is by the pottery manufacturer Moriyama. The set is hand painted in a geometric deco design in red and blue on white. It consists of a teapot, covered sugar, creamer, serving cake plate, four cake plates, four tea cups and four saucers. The pieces are marked on the bottom with the Moriyama mark and “Japan”.
This French art deco ceramic vase was designed and thrown by the French master ceramist Jean Mayodon (1893 – 1967). The vase was made in his own Atelier before he took over as director of Sevres in 1941. The vase, with four Matisse like dancing nudes in blue on a mottled lavender and gold band has a cream top and bottom with a blue interior. The vase is 5-3/4” high and stamped with Maydon’s cypher on the base.
This incredibly rare American art deco plaster cast is from the lobby of the Miami Dupont Plaza Hotel which was demolished in 2004. Designed and cast by Charles Dotson, it is signed “Dotson”. The placque measures 18 ½” in diameter and represents the citrus industry.
This German Jungendstil centerpiece was designed ca. 1912 by Wilhelm Sus (1861-1933) and produced by the Werkstatten de Grossh in Karlsruhe where he was director and chief designer from 1901 to 1914. The center piece is earthenware glazed in white, blue, green, black and yellow and features two puti astride floral garlands. The base impressed “Made in Germany”, “5”, “Hi” and “1164”. The manufacturers mark is impressed in blue. The piece measures 15” x 10 ½” x 9” high.
This incredibly rare American art deco plaster cast is from the lobby of the Miami Dupont Plaza Hotel which was demolished in 2004. Designed and cast by Charles Dotson, it is signed “Dotson”. The placque measures 18 ½” in diameter and represents the transportation industry.
A large Italian Art Deco box that dates from the 1930s. This ceramic box by Lenci of Torino, Italy is hand painted with a cute baby atop. Measuring 8” in diameter and 8-1/2” high, the box is signed on the bottom “Lenci, Made in Italy, Torino – 10-XI, Ne.”.
A large complete 91 piece English Art Deco Dinner service for 10 by Clarice Cliff (1899 – 1972). The set consists of eleven serving pieces, a 10” Serving Bowl, a 12” Serving Platter (Round), a 9-1/4” Footed Cake Plate , a 12-1/2” Serving Platter (Oval), a 14-1/2” Serving Platter (Oval), a 16-1/2” Serving Platter (Oval), Two 6” Sauce Dishes, a Sauceboat, an 8” Covered Bowl and a 9-1/4” Covered Bowl. The place settings are as follows: Ten 9” Soups, Ten 8” Bread Plates, Twenty 9” Dinner Plates, Ten Coffee Cup & Ten Saucers, Ten Demitasse Cups & Ten Saucers. The service is hand decorated in banded pattern on a cream ground. The bands are in pale blue and wine. The serving pieces are in the “Odelin” shape ca. 1932. The tea and demitasse cups are in the “conical” shape with open handles. All pieces are marked in black “Clarice Cliff”. Most are also marked “Newport Pottery, England, Made in England”, some are marked “Royal Staffordshire Pottery, A.J. Wilkinson, Ltd, Honey Glaze”. Some pieces are additionally marked “Req. No. 748856”.
This 29 piece English Art Deco tea set was designed by Susie Cooper (1902-1995) and produced by Wood & Sons Crown Works, Burslem, England in 1932. The set consists of a tea pot and sugar in the “Kestrel” line, a large creamer, two 9-1/2” cake plates, twelve tea cups and twelve 7” cake plates. The service is in a banded pattern on a cream ground. The bands are of two shades of green, yellow and two shades of green. All pieces are marked “A Susie Cooper Production. Crown Works. Burselm, England”. All except the tea cups alos carry the leaping deer mark.
This Austrian art deco ceramic lady was sculpted by Josef Lorenzl (1892 – 1950) in the 1920’s for the firm Friedrich Goldscheider. The statue was originally molded as a lamp base and could be wired for that purpose or stand alone as a great deco figurine. The tall (17”) lady is signed “Lorenzl” and stamped on the bottom “Hand Decorated, Goldscheider, Wien, Made in Austria”. Also impressed on the base “5281”, “802” and “6”.
This monumental French art deco vase of remarkable presence is by Sevres and dates from the mid 1920’s. It would be spectacular filled with flowers on an entrance center table. The vase with gold on green ground is fitted with six strap handles and is stamped with the maker’s mark three times. Measuring 18” high, this special vase is probably unique.
A Belgian art deco ceramic vase by Boch Freres with an overall design of multi colored flowers on a blue background. The vase has a brown base bisected by a gold band. There are also two gold handles. The interior is a soft turquoise blue. The 7 ½” high vase is marked on the base with the Boch Freres Seal.
Charles Catteau (1880 – 1966) created this monumental Belgian art deco ceramic vase “Biches Bleues” in 1925 for Boch Freres. An example of this vase was exhibited at the 1925 Paris Exposition. Arguably Catteau’s most famous design, the deer became an icon of the art deco era. This 20” tall vase is marked on the base “Ch. Catteau”, “D943” and impressed “981”. It is also marked with the Boch Freres seal.
This Belgian art deco ceramic vase is by Boch Freres and features an overall pattern on daisies and blue bells against a grape arbor background. The vase is marked with the Boch seal and has “1885” impressed on the base. Measures 9 ¾” high.
This French art deco centerpiece combines bright silverplate and a deep green glaze. The centerpiece, dating from the 1920’s, stands 13” high and measures 17” across. The bowl is 13 ¼” in diameter.
This French art deco ceramic centerpiece was designed by Paul Milet for Sevres in the 1930's, is from the same series as the vase # A002 and the conical vase. Contrasting areas of Jade green and black glaze makes for a starkly beautifule machine age design. Signed in the bottom in a circle “PM Sevres”. The centerpiece measures 15 ½” long by 9” wide and is 3 ¼” high.
A very unusual and special Belgian art deco ceramic vase designed in 1928 by Charles Catteau (1880 – 1966) and executed by Boch Freres. A bright orange glaze covers the exterior and six openings reveal a white interior. The vase has the black Boch seal and “1068” impressed on the base. Measuring 9 ½” high, the vase measures 8” in diameter across the base.
A fine Japanese art deco porcelain vase. Only 3 ½” high the handpainted vase is decorated with a simple design in red and black on a white and green ground. Marked on the bottom “Meito China”, “Hand Painted” and “Made in Japan”.
A collection of American art deco pottery by the Weller Pottery Company . All seven pieces are in blue and cream and are from Weller’s “Atlas” line produced from 1934 unitl the late 1930’s. The collection consists of: 16” diameter star dish 6” diameter bowl with star opening 6” diameter star covered dish 7” high star shaped vase 6” high reticulated vase with star opening 4” diameter star candle holders (pair) All pieces are in excellent condition and all except the candleholders are signed “Weller”.
This magnificent large (14” high, 10” across) vase was decorated by the artist Claude Levy for Primavera, the design studio of the Paris department store “Les Grands Magasins du Printemps”. The vase is hand enameled by the artist before firing. One side shows a bird and flower, the other a young barefoot couple in a tropical garden setting. The vase is signed “Claude Levy” and “Primavera”.
This Art Deco covered ceramic pot is probably Austrian and dates from the 1920’s. A tan raised continuous line encircles the orange body in geometric steps. Six tan raised balls complete the decoration on the body. The lid which has two levels, each with a tan side supports a geometric tan finial. The vessel measures 11” in diameter and 15” high.
This art deco ceramic vase was created in 1922 at the Belgian firm Boch Freres under the direction of Charles Catteau (1880 – 1966). Decorated in seven fired on colors depicting geometric flowers and standing 13 ½” high, the vase is marked on the bottom with the cipher “BFK” (Boch Freres Keramis), “D695” and “Tango”. The vase bears the sticker of a Dijon retailer.
This French art deco vase is from Primavera, the design studio of the Paris department store “Les Grand Magasins du Printemps”. It was created at Primavera’s pottery, “L’Atelier de Ceramique de Sainte-Radegonde” in Touraine between 1923 and 1926 when Rene Buthaud was artistic director. The vase is decorated with three warriors on horseback. The decoration is in brown, black and dark cobalt on a cream ground with a black neck and cream lip. The vase is incised in the bottom “Primavera, Paris” and is 15 ¾” high.
Eduard Marcel Sandoz (1881 - ) created this French art deco porcelain tea set for four in the 1920’s for Theodore Haviland & Co. in Limoges. The set consists of a tray, water pitcher, tea pot, creamer, sugar bowl, four tea cups and four saucers. All pieces are marked with the appropriate Sandoz and Haviland marks. There are no chips, cracks or repairs and it appears the set was never used.
A French art deco ceramic vase by Joseph and Pierre Mougin in shades of blue and cream with a high relief design of geometric flowering trees. The vase measures 13” in diameter at the base and is 10” high. It is signed on the base “Mougin, Nancy” and incised “145.J”.
This large French art deco cubist ceramic fish was made by the French national porcelain manufactory at Sèvres. The fish glazed in tones of pink and mustard is dated 1925 and has the mark “DN” (Pate Dure Novelle, a custom ceramic mix). The fish measures 17” long, 10” high and 11” wide. It’s in excellent condition with no chips, cracks or repairs.
This striking French art deco vase in the form of a pilgrim flask was created in 1925 at the Belgian firm Boch Freres under the artistic direction of Charles Catteau (1880-1966). The ceramic, which is glazed in an Egyptian Faience blue with a craqueleure finish is mounted with a silver metal rim extending to 2 handles and a central medallion of geometric form. The vase is marked with a round Boch Freres stamp and the molded number "1051" which corresponds to the year 1925. The vase stands 10" high and is 8" wide.
This French art deco porcelain bonbonniere was created by the French national porcelain manufactory at Sevres in 1925 to be presented at a dinner given by Mahmoud Fakhry-Pacha, the Egyptian ambassador to France on October 9, 1925 in Paris. The legend "Offert par Fakhry-Pacha, Paris, le 9 Octobre 1925" in gold inside the lid. The lid and sides are in the Sevres blue decorated in gold with the side decoration inspired by the soon to close Paris Exposition. The lid has at its center a bisque portrait of the host. The box measures 4 1/4" in diameter and is 2" high. The base is marked with a black striped cartouche containing a capital "S", the date 1925, and the letters "DN". There is also an orange stamp containing "RF" (Republique Francaise), "Manufacture Nationale", "Decore a Sevres" and the date "1926".
This monumental French art deco earthenware gourd shaped vase was hand thrown for Atelier Primavera, the design studio of the Paris department store Les Grands Magasins du Printemps. This vase has a heavy turquoise glaze over a series of concentric circles of dots. A black glaze is dripped from the top and rubbed into the dots. Standing 16 ½” high, the vase is marked “Primavera” and “France”.
A monumental art deco Stangl pottery vase, in pale blue glaze, American ca. 1930s. The vase is marked on base "Stangl USA" and "3164". It measures 16" high.
A geometrically decorated shallow art deco bowl by Charles Catteau for Boch Freres ca. 1926. Signed "Gres Keramis" and "Ch. Catteau" and printed mark "D998" (1924 - 1925). There is an impressed mark "916 B" and the Boch Freres seal. The bowl measures 8" diameter and 1" high.
An exceptional French art deco ceramic vase marked "D'Argyl, France". The vase measures 13" high with excellent polychrome glazing in cobalt blue, mint green, white and umber on a matte taupe vase. The interior is an emerald green glaze.
An exceptional Faience vase by Charles Catteau (1880 – 1966) for Boch Freres made in 1925. Measuring 13 ¼ high, the vase has an ormolou foot and rim. Marked with the Boch seal and "D 951" and "Ct.", the vase features cobalt blue, turquoise and yellow on a white craqueleure ground.
Two large art deco vases by Charles Catteau (1880 – 1966) for Boch Freres, La Louviere "Roses Stylisees", ca. 1925. Each vase signed "Ch Catteau" and impressed "909" and sealed "Boch Freres, La Louviere, Made in Belgium" and "Fabrication Belgique". The vases are 12 ½ high and 9 ½ in diameter.
Two art deco craqueleure covered vases in Egyptian Faience Blue by Boch Freres La Louviere. The vases are 12 ¾ high and in excellent condition. Marked with the Bosch seal and impressed "KC" and "2P".
Designed by E. Siegl this art deco craqueleur pair of leaping greyhounds measures 15 1/2" wide, 7 1/2" high and 4 1/2" deep.
Georges Chevalier designed this pensive squirrel for Galeries Lafayette's stand "La Matrise" at the 1925 Paris Exposition. Of white craquelure ceramic, the art deco squirrel stands 10 1/2" high.
Designed by Charles Lemanceau (1905 - 1980) and made by Manufacture de Faiences d'Art de Saint-Clement this art deco craqueleur pair of deer measures 17" wide, 11 1/4" high and 4 1/2" deep.
Produced by Le Jan, a ceramic collaboration of Andre Fau and Marcel Guillard at their atelier in Boulogne-Billancourt, this art deco craqueleur fish measures 11 1/2" high and 15" long.
This French art deco ceramic boar was sculpted by Charles Lemanceau (1905 – 1980) and produced by “Manufacture de Faiences d’Art de Saint-Clements” ca. 1930. The boar is marked on the inside “St. Clement” and “Made in France”. With a white craqueleure enamel finish, the boar is 7” high and 9” long.
A fine French art deco ceramic cat in white craquelure, this feline dates from the 1930's. Signed "Nagel", the figure stands 10 1/2" high.
Created between the wars by the Swiss sculptor Edouard Marcel Sandoz (1881 - 1971), this art deco porcelain tea for two set was produced by the Haviland Company in Limoges, France. We have a large collection of Sandoz's figurines.
This art deco terracotta titled "Bust of a Young Girl" was sculpted by Marcel Bouraine and produced by Marcel Guillard for Editions Etling, Paris. It is signed in the clay by Bouraine and bears the impressed stamps of Guillard and Editions Etling. A similar piece was exhibited at the 1925 Paris Exposition. The sculpture measures 17 1/2" high.
A fine Art Deco ceramic sculpture of Dianna, After the Hunt. Dianna reclines nude with her dogs and her bow at her side. This beautiful piece measures 32" wide and is signed "Duberry".
A fine French art deco vase in Egyptian faience blue with craqueleur blue exterior and mahogany interior and black bottom. Signed on base "Pladal" and measuring 5 1/2" high x 7" diameter.
A monumental art deco Amphora two handled vase. The vase depicts two sailing scenes, one with one ship, the other with two ships. The tan ground is incised and hand painted in dark blue, light blue, white, green, brown and tan. The handle and rim are in a dark cobalt blue glaze. The vase measures 13 1/2" high and 10" in diameter. The bottom is marked "Royal Amphora" and Czechoslovakia.